Why do acne cause these marks? Because skin gets hurt because of chemicals produced during the acne healing process. Production of melanin is just a way by which our skin protects itself from getting hurt and heal itself. For the same reason we get sun tan.
How to deal with Acne Scars
- Exfoliation is a very essential process when it comes on dealing with dead skin which cause dullness.
- Physical Exfoliants are effective. These include scrubs, loofah, home made scrubs etc, anything that has to rubbed onto skin to “Physically” remove the dead cells.
- Chemical Exfoliants are better when it comes to dealing with Acne Scars. Chemical Exfoliants sink inside the skin and loosen the dead skin from within, which easily sheds off and fresh skin appears from beneath. Chemical exfoliants include – Glycolic acid, Salicylic Acid, Lactic Acid etc. All these have different actions but basically they help is skin exfoliation. My goto skin exfoliator is GLYCOLIC ACID.
Products which include Glycolic Acid : Glyco A (12% Glycolic Acid), Glyco 6 (6% Glycolic Acid) are available in Indian Pharmacies.
New user of Glycolic must start with a lower % like Glyco 6, this will help the skin adjusting to the use.
Rub a small amount of Glyco 6 on the acne scar. Remember to wash the face with a face wash prior using the cream.
There might be mild irritation. If the irritation is not bearable them wash the skin with cold water. Reapply next day. Irritation will happen because of skin sensitivity but will eventually reduce.
Glycolic aids in faster sloughing off of dead skin cells by increasing cellular turnover process. The skin will show some peeling and dryness. Therefore do keep skin moisturized.
Lightening the scar can be done with aid of kojic acid, arbutin, hydroquinone, vitamin C, licorice / liquorice or azelaic acid.
Skin lightening scream will help reduce the melanin, hence reduce the scaring.
Most lightening agents are safe when used appropriately.
Products which have Kojic acid: Kojivit Gel (Kojic acid, and is safest option), Kojiglo, KoziMax, Dermz-Ultra .
Products which have Hydroquinone: Glyaha HQ, Glyaha -koj, Melacare
These must be only dotted on top of the scar. They should not be applied anywhere else. And should be used ONLY in night time.
Care must be taken while using lightening agents. Though they are very effective and reduce the pigmentation but they have side effects if not applied properly. These side effects may include skin sensitivity to sun.
In my personal opinion Kojic acid products are safer options but hydroquinone shows effective results too ( but I use it with utmost care , I dont spread it all, just on top of the acne scar). My personal pics – Dermz Ultra, Kojvit Gel, Glyaha -koj.
- Protecting skin against harmful rays of sun is the best we can do for our skin. And no matter we have scaring or not it should be done every single day.
- Using sunscreen in day day time becomes most important when we are using the above two mentioned steps.
- Use a full spectrum sunscreen with atleast a SPF of 30.
- Sunscreen should be applied everyday, rain or sun shine, whether you are indoor or outdoor.
- Sunscreen should be the first thing to be applied on skin after face cleansing routine.
- Lotus 3-in-1 matte sunscreen,
- Suncote Gel Sunscreen,
- AnSolar Gel Cream (SPF 30),
- Neutrogena Ultra Sheer.
Skincare Regime :
- Face wash,
- Moisturizer on the dry areas
- Face wash,
- Glycolic acid (can be applied all over the face also, or just on scars if on hands/legs),
- Skin lightening cream (only on the scar)